Shopping the 90-block LA Fashion District may seem like a daunting task, but with a few simple hints you will soon be on your way to finding some amazing bargains. Be sure to get a free copy of the official LA Fashion District map guide and lots of other information.
• Many stores are wholesale-only (solo mayoreo). Signs will be posted on the outside if they are not open to the general public. Occasionally, (generally on Saturdays) some wholesale-only stores will sell to the general public – don’t be afraid to ask!
• Bargaining is encouraged. Store owners are more likely to lower the prices if you buy more than one item.
• Most stores do not have formal dressing rooms. Dress in layers so you can slip things over your clothes to try them on.
• Merchandise varies from day to day. If you see something you like – buy it now, it may not be there later.
• Choose merchandise carefully – many sales are final and sold “as is,” meaning the merchandise will be sold in its current condition.
• Public restrooms are limited. See the LA Fashion District map guide for exact locations.
• The LA Fashion District is 90 blocks – wear comfortable shoes and clothing!
Here is the Cost breakdown and our Itinerary
Cost (We spent about per girl which included each shopping money)
for adults ( AAA discount)
for kids ( AAA discount) but only 2 kids per adult at this price
(call 800 1477 to get price)
We recommend the Empress Pavillion Restaurant in Chinatown for dim sum.
http://www.empresspavilion.com/menu.htm Dim sum costs C .75, B .10 and A .30 per plate, typically we share several plates and get to eat a variety of little snacks that way. If you stick to the A and B plates it’s a pretty inexpensive meal.
DASH bus only .25, Day pass for METRO line buses and subway only or .25 each trip..(.75 for one metro ride and 2 bus trips)
Bus runs till 5pm!! Make sure you’re up near the station by then!!
6:30am meet at Amtrak San Diego (bring bag breakfasts or money for café car)
7:05am departs 9:50am arrives in Los Angeles
catch the DASH bus from Union Station to the Fashion District or stroll through Olvera Street Mexican shops, get taquitos for an early lunch then take the DASH bus (DA from Union Station to E bus at 7th and Flower to the Fashion District)
Shop the Fashion District! 90 blocks to explore, download the mp3/ipod podcast tour of the fashion district and take the tour..stopping to shop along the way.
3:00 Take the DASH bus to Chinatown for an international dining experience. We like the dim sum at Empress Pavillion, 3:30pm.
Walk through Chinatown toward Union Station..walk through Olvera Street shops watch Mariachis and entertainers here open till 7pm
Here is a slideshow of our trip:
We had a great time!
Other troops have gone to LA to attend a matinée of a Broadway show, or visit one of the studio production facilities in Hollywood or the valley. We’ve heard that it’s lots of fun to go to LA after Christmas and work on one of the Rose Parade floats, they need lots of volunteers!
Disneyland is actually in Anaheim not LA. There is a great girl scout “house” your troop can rent there and save money on a hotel! Contact the Orange County Girl Scout Council for more information.